Monday, August 30, 2010

Beach days and the end of summer

It's 30 degrees today. Supposedly, it also feels like 40 degrees with the humidity.

I wouldn't know.

I am stuck in an office, with air conditioning.

Let's talk about air conditioning. My office is so cold between the cold air and the draft that flows through this room, I wear long pants and long sleeves on a regular basis to keep the goose bumps away. Long pants and sleeves - in August - on one of the hottest days of the year. Where is the fairness in this?

Do you remember being in elementary school, and begging the teacher to do a lesson outside on a beautiful June day? Why can't I move my computer and greet people in the parking lot? Why can't we put up a sign on the front door that says "Gone fishing. See you next cold and rainy day." ?

Today I envy:
  • Stay at home moms
  • People on vacation
  • Retired seniors
  • the Unemployed
  • Anyone waiting to go back to school (at least they have two or three more days of blissful summer freedom!)
Today, I do not want to hear about winter sports or activities. I do not want to hear that it is too warm. I do not want to talk about Halloween or Christmas. I just wish I was with my family, who are currently swimming and playing in the sand at the beach.

You know what my favorite beach activity is? Ice cream. Eating ice cream. Preferably of the kid-flavored variety, like cotton candy, or moon mist.

Right now I am going to close my eyes, pretend I am taking pictures of my kid playing in the sand and my husband playing in the surf, while scarfing down an ice cream, and forget that I have my sleeves in my winter parka.

No comments:

Post a Comment