Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Help has arrived

My husband works away and he arrived home last night. Relief! I don't know how single parents do it. I really don't. My husband does a 3 week away/3 week home shift, so for 21 days I get to live that life. I am so lucky to have the support system that I have in my family. But it is hard to get ready in the morning, get your kid ready, feed and take care of your puppy, and still make it on time. I've discovered that I can actually am a fairly organized person, which helps. But having hubby home to help in the morning, run some of the errands and take care of some of the household is a huge help. I can't imagine not getting a break every three weeks.

Imagine having two kids and a dog, and being all alone in a city with no help! Just thinking about it makes my back hurt. So I applaud all those single moms and dads out there who get it done day after day without any help. You're my hero and inspiration, and you keep my whining in check. And who can forget those whose significant others are in the military - with 6 month deployments! Power to you for staying strong for your family and keeping things going.

The absence of a parent can be very hard on a child. Mine is having a harder time handling Daddy's comings and going as she ages. Every part of her system is impacted - her sleeping and eating patterns, her moods, and her behavior. Last night on the way home from the airport she said "I want Daddy to stay home for good." I've explained to her a number of times the reason Daddy has to work away, to keep a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs and food in our belly, but Hailey sure misses her Dad when he's gone. She opted to skip the sitter and stay home with him today (he was a real trooper about this - he just got off night shift) and I hope they are having a wonderful, restful time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment