Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nathan will be one of the last 2010 babies!

We got our delivery date - December 31.

It's very different knowing the date your baby is coming (assuming he doesn't make an appearance before that!). With Michael's line of work, it is nice knowing that he will have a little over a week with the baby before he goes back to work. And it's nice knowing that as long as Nathan doesn't come early, Michael will be home for the delivery. I can plan childcare for my 4 year old for the day (thanks Mom!) and know that she will be able to come and see us when we are back in our room.

Planning a c-section is very odd. When I was pregnant with Hailey, it never once occurred to me that I would have a section. Sure, I read that chapter in my what to expect book, but I had had zero complications during pregnancy, and no one in my family had had a c-section. But as trouble free as my first pregnancy was, my labour was awful. After 17 hours of back labour and zero progression, Hailey went into distress and I was rushed to an OR.

It wasn't an easy decision to plan for a second section. There are risks due to scar tissue, and let me tell you, recovering from surgery and learning to care for a newborn at the same time - not the easiest or loveliest of tasks. But I've been so hesitant to try again and grow our family after the first experience, for fear of the same trauma. At least this way we know how it will all end up, because we've been through it before. It's rather heart wrenching to try to deliver naturally and not be able to do it. I don't think I could handle hoping for things to go right and ending up back on the table.

So we have a delivery date. December 31. Nathan will be one of the last babies delivered in 2010. Because that date is the cut off for school, we will have more choices of what year he can start. If he's ready for primary at 4.5, we can sign him up. If not, we can wait for the following year. And figuring out his age will always be a piece of cake! Ok, so maybe some of these "positives" are a little silly, but thinking them up has certainly been therapeutic for me, especially when the thoughts of epidurals and surgery become overwhelming. So I finish work in 4 weeks and 2 days, and Nathan comes in 6 weeks, or 44 days.

His room is almost ready. We have his crib together and his clothes in his dresser. I have to get a blind and valence, and put up some pictures, and then it will be ready. I will be sure to post a pic or two when it's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment