Thursday, November 4, 2010

Kids and death

My kid has been asking a lot of questions about death lately. Her questions are all over the place. It's so hard to know what to say! On one hand, I am a very spiritual person who believes in God and Heaven, but on the other, I want to make sure she knows that these are my beliefs, and that no one knows for sure.

Lately she's been obsessed with reincarnation. She doesn't know the term of course, but she will ask questions like "after I am in Heaven for a long time, will I come back to earth as someone else?". Her thoughts are so deep and intelligent!

There are other times that she will simply state that she doesn't want me to die and will pout and tear up a little. We've had a couple of deaths in our family in the last couple of years, so we've had the opportunity to talk about Heaven and meeting God. But she wants real answers, like what part of you stays here and what part moves on, and how we get there, and what it's like. I tell her that we don't know but we will find out when we get there, but it seems like such a cop out answer! And then there are the animal questions and whether they get to go to heaven when they die, and is it the same heaven as everyone else.

I guess I knew I'd have to have these conversations with my daughter, but I didn't think she would be asking such things at only 4 years of age! I've been putting off taking her to church because she is so wiggly and has such a short attention span, but maybe she is ready to start learning about her spirituality.

When did your kids start asking about death? What did you tell them? Let me know at allisonleannegray@gmail.com. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment