Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Waiting Game

Is it January yet?

The old saying "Don't wish your life away" is lost on me. I hate waiting around for things. Currently I am impatient for Halloween parties, baby showers, Michael's return, Christmas and giving birth. Days that are normal seem excruciatingly long and boring. At work I long to go home, but once I am home I am longing for sleep, or fun. There is no relaxing and enjoying the empty time, or taking advantage of the relative peacefulness of my home, which is sure to change in two and a half months. Instead my brain is planning for all things that are coming, running in fast forward about all the things I need to do and buy and set up. It's exhausting.

Halloween is next weekend. Hailey has orange and black day at school tomorrow, so we have her outfit all laid out for that. Next Friday she has a Halloween party at school, and we are doing a costume contest at work. I am excited about my costume, as we are having a contest and I don't know if anyone else is planning to participate. I hope they do. It was not easy coming up with a costume at almost 7 months pregnant!

On Saturday we are having a Halloween party with our friends and some kids from the neighborhood. We started putting up decorations this week and I think I have all the contests and prizes under control. The other parents are bringing the food, which is a nice change. Nice on my pocketbook as well.

Oh I have an odd Hailey story to tell. My mom brought home some gifts for her from our shopping trip, and gave them to her the night we got home. At Khols there was a promotion to benefit needy kids in the area where they were selling stuffed characters from Dr Seuss books. Mom bought Hailey the "Grinch who stole Christmas", and one of the characters from the book "There's a Wocket in my Pocket". Hailey said thank you and played with both toys for a little while, and then all of the sudden, she looks at mom and says "Do I have to keep these?" I didn't know what to say. It turns out she didn't want the Grinch. She said he was scary. On one hand, I was angry that she would be so rude, and not use her manners when it comes to receiving gifts. There will be many times throughout her life when she will be given a gift that she doesn't necessary like, and she will need to learn how to be grateful to giver anyways. But on the other hand, I so rarely see her act assertively, it was nice to see her voice her own opinions and wants. Luckily, my mom was understanding, and said that she would give the toy to a child who would not be getting many gifts for Christmas. Hailey seemed happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment